Gingerbread CookiesDecember 14, 2016
- 15 minutes
- 8-10 minutes
- 30 small cookies
- 3 cups of spelt or unbleached flour
- 1 tbsp of ground ginger
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of molasses
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk (keep egg white for the icing)
- For the icing:
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 ml of vanilla
- 1. In a bowl, mix together the flour, spices, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- 2. Using a stand mixer, whisk together the coconut oil, molasses and brown sugar. Add the egg and egg yolk (leave out the egg yolk if you are using white flour) and whisk again. Incorporate dry ingredients with the paddle attachment of your mixer, or with a wooden spoon, and mix until a homogenous and smooth dough is obtained.
- 3. Form the dough into two balls, wrap each one with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, mix together all ingredients for the icing. Fill an icing bag and set aside.
- 5. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 6. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and transfer to a floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until 1/2 cm thick and cut out your cookies with your favourite cookie cutters.
- 7. Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely and decorate with the icing.