Healthy Cinnamon RollsDecember 1, 2016
Healthy Cinnamon Rolls
- 30 minutes
- Rest 45 minutes | Cook 25 minutes
- 10 cinnamon rolls
- For the dough:
- 1 cup of hot water
- 2 tsp of yeast
- 1 tbsp of your choice of oil
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- For the date mixture:
- 1 1/2 cup of pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cup of almond butter
- 1 cup of Gingerbread Oatbox granola
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- 2 tsp of water, or more
- 2 tbsp of milk or rice milk
- For the topping:
- 2 tbsp of coconut sugar or maple sugar
- 1. In a one-liter measuring cup, mix hot water, yeast, oil and 1 tbsp of maple syrup together and let rest for 15 minutes.
- 2. In another bowl and using a fork, mix flour, salt and yeast preparation together.
- 3. Empty the bowl’s content onto your work surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth. Place dough in a well-oiled bowl, covered with a clean and humid cloth, and let rise about 30 minutes at room temperature.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 5. In a food processor, blend all ingredients for the date mixture until a uniform consistency is obtained. Add a bit of water if the mixture is not smooth enough.
- 6. Once it has doubled in size, transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Roll the dough out as a rectangle to about ½ cm in thickness. Top evenly with date mixture. Roll the dough over itself and cut into 10 pieces.
- 7. Oil or butter your muffin moulds generously and put a piece in each of them. Using a brush, cover your rolls with a bit of milk or rice milk and sprinkle with coconut or maple sugar.
- 8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until buns are golden.
These healthy cinnamon rolls are made of a bread dough instead of an egg dough, so expect those to be less soft, but just as delicious.
Featured in this article
Gingerbread GranolaView this mix